Jollof rice is a staple food you would find at every Nigerian party.
Sometimes you try to make Jollof rice at home and get discouraged and angry when it does not taste the same way party Jollof tastes. Not to worry, this simple recipe would aid you to make your best pot of party Jollof at home.
- Long grain rice
- Red Onions
- Tatashe (red bell pepper)
- Ata Rodo – scotch bonnet/habanero pepper
- Tomato Paste
- Curry Powder/ Dried Thyme
- Seasoning cube/Salt
- Beef Stock
How to prepare
1. Blend the tomatoes, onions, tatashe (red bell pepper) and ata rodo (scotch bonnet/habanero pepper) to a smooth paste.
2. Heat it in a pot to reduce the volume till you see small dots (bubbles) in the pepper. It is very important to achieve this, to boil out the water content.
3. Parboiling of the rice is optional. You can do this or not.
4. Fry the tomato sauce with 4 – 5 cooking spoons of olive or groundnut oil. You need this much to fry the pepper properly.
5. To fry the tomato sauce chop at least 1 red onion, and fry lightly in your choice of oil. Once the onions are translucent add the pepper .If you have boiled the pepper properly, the frying process will start immediately. If not the pepper will boil instead and prolong the cooking time.
Add curry powder and dried thyme.
4.Pour the chicken stock into the tomato stew, add a good amount of water and leave to boil
5. After a few minutes, check the rice and stir. If some bits have burnt, no problem, just try not to scrape the bottom of the pot harshly while you stir. Taste the rice for softness. If it is still too firm, add a little stock, and I mean a little.
6. You may never need to top up. If you do, you will probably need to do this only once. Cover again with the plastic or foil wrap and let it cook till the rice is totally soft. Stir, again to allow the sauce to combine with all the bits of the rice.
7. If you wish, you can put in your green peas or sweet corn to make it look more attractive.
Serve with Fried Plantain, Nigerian Moi Moi, Nigerian Salad or Coleslaw.
Watch this short video by Sisiyemi
Disclaimer: The Post Want To Prepare Tasty Party Jollof? Watch This Easy Tutorial was first Published by FAB.NG on www.fab.ng.