Multiple gunman opened fire outside a South Florida banquet hall early Sunday, killing at least two people and wounding more than 20, police said.
The gunfire erupted at the El Mula Banquet Hall in northwest Miami-Dade County, near Hialeah, police said. The hall had been rented out for a concert. Three people rolled out of an SUV and opened fire on the crowd outside, police director Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III said.
“I am at the scene of another targeted and cowardly act of gun violence, where over 20 victims were shot and 2 have sadly died,” Ramirez tweeted. “These are cold blooded murderers that shot indiscriminately into a crowd and we will seek justice. My deepest condolences to the family of the victims.”
Two people died at the scene, police said. As many as 25 people went to various hospitals for treatment. No arrests were immediately announced, and police were asking the community for help and gathering surveillance footage in the search for evidence.
The shooting took place about 24 hours after one person was killed and six others wounded in a drive-by shooting in the Wynwood area of Miami, the Miami Herald reported.
“It is very difficult to stop a small amount of individuals who want to go out there and commit murder, and it takes all of us to stop this,” Ramirez told the newspaper. “We really have to put the work in this summer to keep our children and community safe.”
Contributing: The Associated Press
Disclaimer: The Post Two dead, more than 20 injured in Miami-area shooting, police say was first Published by USA TODAYon rssfeeds.usatoday.com.